Dear People of St Pauls
Services on Sunday 22nd (7.30 & 9.15)
This Sunday we join with other parishes in Southern Africa to focus on Theological Education. This focus includes an opportunity to express support and to pray for our Provincial Theological College – College of the Transfiguration in Makhanda (formerly known as Grahamstown).
Theological education can be an important aspect in the development of our faith. I have compiled some resources that may assist those wanting to explore theological education. See our website .
Covid-19 appears to be spreading rapidly in the greater Durban area. Be very careful. Continue to keep the safely protocols, of wearing masks, sanitising hands regularly and keeping social distance; and where possible keeping windows and doors open. We encourage everyone to be vaccinated.
Parish Financial Presentation
Dear People of St Paul’s and Guild leaders,
We cordially invite you to a parish financial presentation which will be conducted virtually by Ms Neelano Saane who is the parish deputy treasurer. The presentation will focus on these key topics amongst others:
- Audited results of 2020 – lessons learnt and how the 2020 report will affect the 2021
- Current financial position of the parish – Unpacking the income and expenditure from January to June 2021
- Financial outlook of the parish – what to consider for the future including budget ideas for 2022
- We have also attached the slides that are going to guide this presentation for easy reference. [This invitation and the slides may be viewed on our website ].
The details of the meeting are as follows:
Meeting Platform: Zoom
Date: 27 August 2021
Time : 17h30
Duration : 45 minutes to an hour
Who can attend: Every member of St Paul’s
Join Zoom Meeting
Meeting ID: 992 3555 7649
Join by Skype for Business
St Paul’s Finance Team
Congratulations and Welcome
- Congratulations to Kenneth Tafa, one of the younger members of the parish who recently graduated with a Diploma in Public Management.
- If any of our members are interested in learning to play the organ please approach one of the clergy and we will point you in the right direction.
Revd Thami Tembe
The Diocesan Mission to Seafarers chaplain, Revd Thami Tembe, requested that he join the team at St Pauls, making St Pauls his spiritual home. This request was discussed with him in a virtual meeting by the Parish Executive and presented to the Parish Council. It was decided to warmly welcome Revd Thami to St Paul’s.
He will continue to work full time as the chaplain to the Mission to Seafarers and will assist us at St Pauls in a self-supporting capacity with services and other ministries as requested.
KZN Covid-19 Churches Respond Project
This is a project formed out of the KZN Church Leaders Group and convened by the KZNCC (KZN Christian Council). Over these 18 months they have helped with the setting up of local ecumenical action networks (LEANs). Revd Sabelo and I have been part of the Durban CBD LEAN, together with about 20 other clergy and pastors.
Following the recent looting, KZN Churches Respond distributed food parcels as part their crisis care. St Pauls was used as a temporary storage for parcels distributed to the inner city.
Other helpful initiatives have included the provision of care in the form of trauma and psycho-social support. For a list of resources in this area see which includes some resources in isiZulu and some for children.
In the area of advocacy and prophetic witness, work has been undertaken with local church groups in the Phoenix, Inanda, Ntuzuma and KwaMashu (PINK) area with respect to peacebuilding and “re-imagining what sustainable and inclusive economic development needs to look like as we rebuild”.
In the area of Prayer and Theological reflection the following reflection was offered.
People are invited to join The Prayer Tree project group as an intercessor or to send in prayer needs to WhatsApp 082 254 7939.
Some dates for the year
- Friday 27 August, 17.30: Parish Financial Presentation (Virtual)
- Sunday 29 August: Sunday in Black (Congregation to wear black)
- September: Season of Creation
- Wednesday 1 September: World Day of Prayer for Creation at St Pauls
- Sunday 5 September: Involvement of young people in the service
- Saturday 11 September: Installation of Bishop Nkosinathi Ndwandwe
- Sunday 26 September: Heritage Day focus
- 21-24 September 2021: Provincial Synod (Virtual)
- Wednesday 22 September, at 17.00: Mission to Seafarers AGM. (Virtual)
- October: Stewardship Month; Commitment Sunday, Sunday 24 October
- 6-9 October: Anglicans Ablaze Global Conference (Virtual)
- Sunday 31 October: All Saints/All Souls Day focus
- Sunday 28 November: Thanksgiving/Harvest Festival/Advent
Thank you for your faithful giving. A reminder of St Paul’s bank account details: Account Name: St Paul’s Church; Account Number: 50854628623; Branch Code: 221426; Bank: FNB.)
Jesus says: “Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid.” John 14:27